Monday 24 November 2008

Of course it is!

Well, I told you Brit Gal Sara would know. And Laura was close but not specific.
If you've travelled through the south west of America, you'll see some fine specimens of this:



These hats cost a fortune and are usually treated very well by their owners. I have seen many a cowboy sitting on a plane with his hat protectively placed on the adjacent seat. (Given the price of airline tickets these days and the jammed-to-capacity flights, I doubt this still happens.)

According to the Orvis -Gifts for Men catalog, the hat carrier just slips over the seat - no installation required.. That would indeed be a blessing chez moi, as most things requiring installation either get leaned up against the would-be spot, never to be touched again, or end up with the Ball & Chain putting a fist through some wall or other. And the language!!! However, he hasn't lived in the south for decades and has no need of a vehicular hat carrier no matter how easy it is to install.

My main concern about this hat carrier is that it assumes all cowboys drive a pick-up with back seats. My father-in-law has a four seater pick-up (not sure why, but old habits die hard). However, the real pick-ups only have two seats in the front so I'm not sure where the hat would hang nor how the cowboy would get it there.

PS. It costs $59, and the hat itself (premium fur felt) costs just $98.

PPS. The clue in the title "tarnation" was obviously far too subtle. Many southerners here use alternative swear words, like tarnation and dad gammit (instead of god dammit).
.

20 comments:

  1. Well strike me down! Never would I have guessed this in a million years!
    What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant- and so obvious now I can see it with my own eyes. I wear hats in the summer sometimes ( if we get one) so I better get one

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of those things you don't know you needed until you see it. Now, I STILL don't need one - but I know a man who might... (my dad is a bit of a tart for a nice hat).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it was a guess, but having a Hubster who needs one all the time helped.

    Anyway now I am off to order him one as part of Xmas, so many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius! After all, what else does one do with a stetson?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh, yes of course. Quite a clever contraption really

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You, Thank You! (Gives a gratifying bow and an Oscar winner's smile) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so wanted it to be a shoe buffer...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eek! Misread PAM's comment as a clever 'contraception', well, I suppose it would work - it would put me off, anyway! Good job I didn't try to guess what it was... might have come up with something equally bizarre.

    Ooh, I've also read one of your previous posts about blogging too much and nearly began this with an apology that I've missed a couple of yours... gawd, I need help!

    PS thanks for your good wishes... exactly how many things can I keep crossed at once?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may live in CO but have never seen this before. Wonders never cease!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As usual, once you see the answer, it's so obvioius you wonder how you missed it. Great gadget, but I don't think it will help out with my "What to get my wife for Christmas" conundrum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. mum, I can't think of a thing to say about that miniature hat-stand, I just wanted to say 'hello. (funnyface) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever, but I would never have guessed...I thought it might be a shoe-polisher of some kind, and even tho' you've told us now, I still don't quite get the point of it. But then any hats we have get thrown on the back shelf of the car, only to fall down and get sat on by the kids or chewed by the dog.
    Once, when I broke down with a thirsty lab in the back, I even used a straw boater (from a Regatta...don't ask...) as a water bowl for the dog. There ended my friendship with the hat owner.

    Yep, that just about sums my relationship with hats up.
    Bella :0

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you..l shall go online and get one for my dad...for the man who has everything, all his hats, sombrero, fedora, andy cap, baseball, trilby etc are all on the ends of walking sticks..great idea..now l'll wait until the stroke of midnight..as one does..!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, shoot and dang, I was wonderin' what the Sam Hill that was! ;-)

    Actually, that is too funny. I'll have to keep my eyes open for those while I'm in Texas over Christmas. I bet they're a big hit come rodeo time.

    PS Nice hat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I just love that hat. If my husband would wear one I would buy it him for Christmas. Infuriatingly, although he would look really good in it, the chances are close to zero.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would never have guessed. Haven't been here long enough, clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhhh - mystery solved. i'd still like one though to rest my travellers head on rather than my hat!

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive