I can see why some people might not see the point of them though. And when I see people Tweeting (is that the verb?) their every move, it strikes me as a little pathetic, unless it's done with wit.
Over the weekend I discovered something I really don't see the point of. At least as it stands right now.
It's called the UK Soundmap, and I went leaping over there in giddy anticipation of hearing British woodsy noises, or bustling city noises. What did I get?
- A 77 second recording of someone sitting in a Newcastle University car park.
- Sounds of someone spreading something on toast.
- 60 seconds of a "lonely office". (Guess what that sounded like?)
- Two minutes of an M6 drive.
- 55 seconds of someone in a chemist's shop.
To be fair, there are quite a few beach sounds, some church bells and other assorted recordings guaranteed to soothe and interest.
If you're in the least irritated by Facebook or Twitter though, I would strongly advise giving this web site a wide berth.