Sunday 17 October 2010

Lost in the Moment

So I was getting ready to post something (more of that later) and got caught up in a few blogs that just had to be read, as you do. The computer I'm working on is on the floor where the kids' bedrooms are, right outside the laundry room. "Aha,", I thought, "Let's just kill a few more birds here and throw in a load or two".

Who was it the other day who was blogging about whether women can multi-task? Ha - I'll show 'em.

Also decided that, since I was staying in the vicinity, I would handwash Queenager's micro minidress before someone acidentally put it in with other clothing and turned everything bright turquoise. So I put it in the deep laundry sink and ran the water. Nothing like conquering those domestic chores is there?

About fifteen minutes later, Man-Child comes sauntering out of his bedroom.

"Err, mom", he said, "did you mean to leave this tap on?"

You know, I kept thinking to myself  "What's that trickling sound?" but put it down to the rinse cycle on the washer.

The water (from the tap what I had left running) was all over the laundry room floor (mercifully tiled, with a big drain hole in the middle, for eejits like me). Unfortunately, the water had run down the hall (right behind my chair) and soaked the carpet runner and the underfelt. (I won't even think about the damage it may have done to the hardwood floor as it was very hot water.)

Of course, because it was very hot water, I couldn't stick my arm in to pull the plug out.  Think, think, think. I grabbed the three bath towels I'd just bloody well laundered, and flung them on the floor. Then I had the masterful plan of using a nearby plastic bin to transfer some of the water into the bath. Fabulous. Unfortuately there's that little displacement theory that comes into play when you stick a large object into a receptacle full of water, so more torrents came gushing over the side of the sink.

You'll be pleased to know it's all now under control, with the carpets rolled over to dry out and the wood dried with the bath towels. (I know, I know). Man-child is still shaking his head in disbelief and I just know what tonight's topic of conversation will be at the dinner table.

What I had meant to post about was my new Pond Parleys entry, where me and Mike discuss how we became expats. Pop over why don't you.

12 comments:

  1. You forgot about the tap while blogging, I forgot I had a third child the other day because I was eating an ice cream. We all get forgetful sometimes...

    (He never even woke up.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear...... that sounded a horrid crisis. Hope things get dried quickly with out any permanent damage.
    I have also neglected things while blogging. Like overcooking the dinner because I was miles away from the pinger. That sort of thing. Blogging seems more interesting though at times.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I wrote "me and Mike" in that last sentence instead of "Mike and I". Tut tut. Still obviously wasn't concentrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I wrote "me and Mike" in that last sentence instead of "Mike and I". Tut tut. Still obviously wasn't concentrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing about Mwa's comment about how she forgot she had a third child. On the same theme, we once both got out of a taxi in Hong Kong, forgetting our precious, first born, small baby. As we marched into the distance completely oblivious to our parental responsibilities, the taxi driver stuck his head out of the window and shouted "What about the baby?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next thing you know blogs might have to come with a warning - may be dangerous to your health, home or laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got so distracted by the words "laundry room" that I didn't read anything else. Imagining how life would be so much more perfect with a laundry room.

    I need to get a life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Women multi-tasking. I seriously don't know where they got that idea from!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a laundry room accident the other day which ended up flooding the basement..........I had to use a wet/dry vac to hoover up all the water as there was that much of it........

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  10. eek, I've had a few 'lost in blogland' escapades myself so I can fully relate....
    dammit, the dinner's burning...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to laugh at your misfortune but that was very funny!!! Am sure you can see the funny side of it now.

    I do love hearing when someone else does stuff like that. It isn't just me then.

    Plus that post made me miss my beautiful big laundry. Try as I might, I'll never get used to washing clothes in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive