1. Because I can cook a dinner from scratch, help 7 year old with homework (which always requires a "partner"), write a blog post for someone else's deadline and have a
2. Because I can point to a song that Green Day has ripped off, every time the Man-Child plays one of their tracks. And, he knows I'm right. (Clash, Adam and the Ants, you name it. Total rip off merchants.)
3. Because I can tell when one of them hasn't practised a stringed instrument even though they swear up and down that they have. (Clue - the dog hair that was shiny brightly on the lid of the case remains undisturbed.)
4. Because I have just steam-stripped the wallpaper from Man-Child's large bedroom and am about to wallpaper it myself, in black wallpaper. (Ok, it has four inch two-tone black stripes which actually gives it an air of sophistcation, but we won't tell him that.)
5. Because even though I glaze over when the 7 y/o explains the finer details of Star Wars people and their various powers, I remain focused and mumble "ooh" and "aah" at the right times (it would appear.)
6. Because I subscribe to the Economist (comes in great for Science and Global homework assignments), Rolling Stone (always disappears before I even get my hands on it), Writers Digest (oooh, mom's a writer) and National Geographic (ditto with the homework). Makes me look brainy and eclectic even if I'm not, and they're never lost for something to write about.
7. Because I appear to take my 7 y/old's daily physical complaints seriously, when he is clearly becoming a hypochondriac. OK, I did halt the discussion this morning as we walked into class and he was still telling me about the two zits on his bum!
8. Because despite the fact that the teens think I'm a lady dork, most of their friends don't mind chatting to me and even the staff at the School of Rock say hello to me.
9. Because I did not lose it when the Queenager phoned to say she'd scraped the entire passenger side of my car against a wall. (The fact that it was in dire need of a paint job probably helped.)
10. Because I did not laugh out loud when she handed me $20 to pay for the damage.
Aaah, that's better.