Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Don't be a Divvy

There's a new bike-sharing scheme in Chicago and it's cracking me up. It's called Divvy Bikes and every time I hear the word I giggle. Not surprisingly, everyone near me gives me that sideways look or asks what's funny.

For those not brought up with the word, in certain parts of the UK a "divvy" is someone who's not the sharpest tool in the shed. There are various possible origins for the word but it's generally meant as a fairly harmless insult. It's apparently from the north east of England where I grew up, but I have to say, I always associate it with Scousers (from Liverpool) myself.

Obviously, when referring to a bike-sharing scheme, the word divvy is the "divvying up" version.

I know it's ridiculous but - surely they should know that they've actually called their scheme the Idiot Bike-Sharing Scheme?

People are even riding round with Divvy written on the bike. Tee hee. 


  1. Are you going to borrow one? Go on! Photo please of you sitting on it ;-))


The more the merrier....

Blog Archive