Monday 25 August 2014

New (School) Year's Resolutions

I always think of back-to-school time as a time of great joy change. Another school year starting off, all fresh and shiny. A time to do things a little better, more efficiently, etc. etc.  So, here's what I am planning -

No piles, anywhere. I vow to either pay it, file it or bin it instead of putting it next to the bread bin or other such places.


No more excuses.

Ditto with e-mails. I will act on them immediately. And while I'm on about e-mails, I will also reorganize my management system. Having a file named after each child as well as one named "school" simply means that I will never quite know where I have filed school e-mails. And enough with the flagging of everything!

I will also get dressed every day. OK, that sounds like I sit in my PJs all day, which is not quite how it is. Since the Little Guy is now old enough to walk the three blocks to school, in theory, there is no need for me to get dressed at such an ungodly hour. However, I vow to throw on my workout clothes as soon as I get up, and get my bum on that treadmill.

Since the Little Guy is also the last child I'll be having, there is no point in keeping triplicate copies of Spanish/Science/English text books. He might need one extra for the inevitable times he leaves a much-needed book at school, but he doesn't need to inherit the entirety of his brother and sister's collection. Besides, they do change the syllabus from time to time.

Similarly, clothes that no longer fit him are to be removed from his closet, bagged and taken to the school garage/jumble sale office. There's no one to give them to and at the rate he grows, they're taking up far too much space. (Ditto, clothes that I no longer wear, now that I think about it.)

I resolve to go out and talk to other humans from time to time. Since I work from home, it's very easy (and tempting) to hole up for the day. It does make other people worry about me though, and of course, they say that sunshine and fresh air is good for you.

Finally, I will manage my stress levels by tackling the house one room at a time. There always seems to be stuff lying around or things to be fixed (door locks, window locks, over fans, dodgy dishwasher) and my initial response is to - do nothing and stress about it. No more. I will roll up my sleeves and get things done, even if it's only one task a week.

I feel better already!



7 comments:

  1. Okay...you've inspired ME! So let's do this...because frankly? Something needs to be done around here and it obviously won't unless I get off my backside and make it get done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - the piles are a bit of a pipe dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give the new regime 3 days! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to be a busy lady! Best of luck and I'm also tackling each room one at a time, that starts Monday! Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So do we come back in a month to see how you're getting on then?
    :)
    Best of luck

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive