Sunday 14 December 2014

What Rachel Ray has done to my husband

My husband is a changed man. A little obsessed, one might say. And it's all Rachel Ray's* fault.

It's no secret that although I can cook (not bake), twenty+ years of cooking family meals day in and day out has left me a little, well, BORED OUT OF MY SKULL. For a few years I found a great young lady who would cook four meals every two weeks for me, and that helped (my sanity) a lot. Then she very selfishly moved to Seattle and although I tried to think of a way to get her meals to me in one piece, I finally accepted that this wonderful phase was over.

Fearing that the moody, kitchen-hating, knife-wielding wife of old was about to resurface, the Ball & Chain started to chip in with the cooking. "Oooh, good", I thought. "I don't mind doing all the laundry, vacuuming etc. if it gets me out of the kitchen".

But then I got greedy; pushed my luck, in fact. I bought him what looked like a fairly do-able Rachel Ray cook book last Christmas. This one -


The idea is that you make your week's dishes all in one day. And he does. All day Sunday. Like a fiend. This new hobby is second only to golf. That's how hooked he is. The 11 year old is his sous chef and the two of them practically salivate as they leaf through the recipes, picking out the delights for the week ahead. Seriously - it is the most dog-eared book in the house. We haven't had a "dud" meal from it.

The other night I re-heated a Rachel ratatouille he had made, and apparently I forgot to crack eggs into it, as per the recipe.

"I've never had ratatouille with eggs in it before", I said, attempting to defend my grave error.

"Rachel says to put them in."

"Oh indeed. Rachel says to put them in does she. What else does Rachel say?"

"Hey - it was you who brought her into my life."

Hmmmm.

Anyway, if you're looking for a cracking recipe book (see what I did there), you can't go wrong with this one, and I'm not being compensated for saying this.

* Rachel Ray is a well known chef in the USA.

7 comments:

  1. I have to say that this book sounds very tempting.....Now just need a husband happy to cook five meals each Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, interesting. In fact, that's not far short of my own student-cooking philosophy, in which I cooked an enormous roast each Sunday (enough to feed an army) and then made various meals our of the leftovers during the week. Missed a trick there, didn't I? Mind you, my mug on the cover wouldn't sell nearly so well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. But, as you say, after a couple of grinding decades of having to produce family meals, the novelty might wear off for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, enjoy it while it lasts!

    I had a friend at Uni who made all her sandwiches on a Sunday and put them in differently labelled containers in the fridge for each day. Far too organized if you ask me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel sounds like your saviour. Must admit, when my hubby gets busy in the kitchen he can produce far more interesting stuff than I do. I like following recipes but he is an experimenter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mind boggles at the thought of cooking a whole weeks menu on a Sunday. Good on your husband for being able to do that!
    I must admit...... I seem to often throw things together at the last minute!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, I'm sure I can think of more interesting things to do on a Sunday! No chance of my husband ever cooking more than beans on toast or fishfingers and Smash.

    That said, when I can be arsed to cook its usually a vast vat of something that then gets put into tubs and frozen as homemade "ready meals" that can just be microwaved. Then I don't have to cook for another few days.

    I recommend it as a method. After all, it's not much harder to cook a large pan of curry or whatever than it is a normal sized one. And on the other days, well, there's always beans on toast.

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive