Thursday 26 February 2015

Old Friends and Facebook

I'm a Facebook fan. When I say "fan" I mean I love being on Facebook but I'm not always happy with  the things they do. Like snooping around your stuff, changing the page layout every other week and banning photos of breast-feeding women while allowing pretty much any other image of the naked female body.

Being far away from old friends and family, Facebook has been a great way for me to keep up with what everyone's doing. Occasionally I find friends with whom I thought I had long since lost contact. It's fantastic.

Last week several old (high) school friends were chatting on one person's page and someone said "Why don't we start a page for our year?", so we did. There are only about twenty of us on it at the moment (out of a possible 60 or 70), but my god it's funny. We went to a convent girls' school so there are the obvious memories of weird nuns and even weirder teachers, plus a few confessions of not-quite-appropriate behavior that we wouldn't have fessed up to at the time.

Let me share a few tales without naming names -

The time one small group decided to have a rice-eating competition in the dining hall, and one girl won by eating FIVE bowls of rice pudding. How on earth she managed to sit through afternoon lessons I don't know.

And the poor (late) geography teacher who, looking back, was probably already showing signs of dementia. We played terrible tricks on her - like sharpening pencils into her giant bouffant, and she never noticed. Or changing the light above the desk to a blue disco light - and again, she never noticed. Or changing seats just to confuse her - which didn't seem to register at all.

And then there were the nuns - the Headmistress who walked the halls with her knitting tucked somewhere in her habit. And the one who decided that a girl called Jacqueline should have been given a saint's name so addressed her as Theresa thenceforth. And the teeny Latin teacher/nun who called us "foolish virgins" when she was cross.

I haven't laughed so much for ages. You should try looking up your old school friends when you get a second.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I have to say that for me I am much happier being far far away from my fellow classmates at school! One of them finding me online would be one of the worst things that could happen in blogging as far as I am concerned! I am glad that you are enjoying your reunions though! Sounds as though you had a fun time at school! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha Amy. I don't remind them about my blog, but I don't usually blog about real people too often. I love my old friends. They are friggin hilarious too.

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive