Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Missing England Already

So, the Little Guy and I are off to Chicago today after a month in England. The weather has been great (except for the last three or four days - cold and rainy) and we've packed a lot in. The LG has been hanging with his second cousin, who is 4 months younger; because of the big gap between him and his siblings, his three first cousins are also a lot older than him, so it's been brilliant to have a family member to hang with. They got on so well that we extended our stay a few days and did some "boy stuff" with them - like Ripley's "Believe it or Not" at Picadilly Circus in London. (Note to self - Next time you do the London Underground with a child, dress him/her in neon green. The amount of times I thought I'd lost him....).

I have to say I'd rather stay here. Even after 25 years in the USA, I feel like I "fit" better in the UK. It's weird really because I'm watching TV not having a clue who all the "celebrities" are, I'm marveling at things in supermarkets (like the range of Branston pickles now on offer) that aren't really new, and I can barely work the pound coin deposit shenanigans that one has to go through to get a trolley (cart) at said supermarket. But still, this is home.

Like many expats, I'm not miserable in my host country. I don't go around complaining about things and comparing everything to the UK; I appreciate that there's good and not so good on both sides of the Pond. Don't worry about me. I'll be more than fine.

I just miss England already.


12 comments:

  1. Me too. After more than 40 years in the US, landing at Heathrow still feels like coming home.
    I'm not unhappy where I am currently planted.
    It's just feeling differently comfortable with a place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very grumpy coming back to France on Sunday after two weeks in England and Wales.

    I'm sure I'll get back into the swing of la vie fran├žaise again soon, but right now, I'd rather be in England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister has lived in Aussie for 8 years and is very happy there but on each trip home she says she feels a sense of inner peace as she spies the fields and grey skies of Sussex on the approach to gatwick. There's no place like home :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you had such a good time that it made you miss the old homeland! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a good trip - yes, it always brings up mixed emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Inner peace" - yes, that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess the home is where the heart is........
    You'll be fine when you get back (as though you've never been away!)
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think part of it is an intrinsic understanding of how people tick and how things work in your home culture. No matter how long you live elsewhere, I don't think you ever completely internalize an adopted culture in the same way. There are many things I heartily dislike about the US, but - whether I agree with things or not - I at least 'get' it. I know how to behave in every situation, I know how to approach people, I have a very good idea of how they'll respond, and I understand what's expected of me in every exchange - very little second-guessing required. Here in the UK, despite my ability to (theoretically) understand what's going on, I definitely don't have the same level of innate assurance about interactions, that I'm missing some cultural shorthand or unspoken rules - I probably overthink it, but there it is. (And if it's any comfort, I use those trolleys regularly and still have days where I forget how to work them. )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting MsCaroline. Hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know how you feel. Plus there are all those people and places that you've known since childhood... I generally get asked when I return to the UK if I find it weird being back, but the truth is that I fit right in straightaway, even driving on the left seems natural.

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive