Monday 17 July 2017

A Repatriation Sing-a-Long

I would say we were “established” in our new home, but that would be a big fat porky pie (lie). We are here with some of our things, and they’re mostly lying in various piles all over the house. But, we made it safely, as did the dog. 

I've already had a washing machine "incident". whereby it washed the dog blanket and then refused to drain, spin or otherwise relinquish the darn thing. I eventually managed to get the door open (with minimum water splosh) and the machine then happily continued the cycle on its own. Foolishly, I assumed the problem had been temporary so I put another "load" in. I use the term "load" with caution and derision since it consisted of about 7 garments. Yet again, the machine came to an abrupt halt at the drain cycle and I was forced to retrieve sopping wet clothes and perform the rinse and spin elements by hand. 

But yes, we are lurching around, trying to get things to work and trying not to make complete fools of ourselves in public. And of course, I wrote a little ditty about it. (Sung to the tune of “My Favourite Things”.) So get yer Julie on and sing along. 


Unfavourite Things

Washers that break down and dryers that half dry
Front doors that don’t lock no matter how I try
Laminate flooring that’s like an ice rink
These are becoming “unfavourite” things

Pause 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Pause 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Light switches not in the rooms they are meant for
Dog nails that clack on the “nice” laminate floor
4am wake up from birdies that sing
Quickly becoming “unfavourite” things

Chorus: When I can’t open the windows
When I’m feeling mad
I simply remember that shipment of things
And then I don’t feel so bad
2,3,4,5,6

Rubbish collectors that come once a fortnight
Showers that barely fit hub, my it’s so tight
Centigrade measures that make my head spin
Add to the list of “unfavourite” things

Pause 2,3, 4,5,6
Pause 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Suitcases empty but no place to store them
Clothing unpacked but, OK, on the floor then
Three plastic beakers from which we all drink
Complete my list of “unfavourite” things

Pause 2,3,4,5,6
Pause 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Chorus:
When the noises in the kitchen
Make the doggy sad
We think of that shipment of favourite things
And then we don’t FEEEEEEL SOOOOO BA-A-A-A-D.


9 comments:

  1. That was brilliant!! (See how I threw a British adjective in there?). But seriously, I did the music and singing in my head as I went through the song. Very much enjoy your blog. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You're obviously as barking mad as I am (another British-ism.)

      Delete
  2. Totally brill! I did the same, coffee, singing in my head. Had no trouble fitting those glorious lyrics to the song. Enjoyed it very much.

    Glad you're there together, if not quite reunited with your belongings yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I've done this all my life! Very odd.

      Delete
  3. Loved the lyrics and I also sang along! Glad to hear that you've landed safely. You'll be reunited with your things soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I'm dreading it. We're looking around thinking "Where are we going to put all our stuff?".

      Delete
  4. Glad you made it safely. Was sweating the dog arriving safely on your behalf. The house will be sorted when it's sorted. I look forward to hearing more of your (mis)adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Currently having a battle with Virgin Media but I gather that's par for the course.

      Delete
  5. Glad you're there together, if not quite reunited with your belongings yet.


    โกเด้นสล็อต
    สูตรบาคาร่า
    Gclub จีคลับ


    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive