Monday 19 March 2018

British Snow-Wimps

I thought I'd left all this behind. Snow and cold, that is.

Actually I'm not complaining. This so-called cold is not nice but it's positively balmy compared to what I've experienced in Chicago. I've written about it often, but the cold in Chicago makes your nostril hairs freeze. I remember once telling my brother that it was minus 40 with the wind chill factor (which is the same in both Centigrade and Fahrenheit) and he said "That can't be right, that's a walk-in freezer." Yup.

I used to walk the dog looking like I was either going to scale the west face of Everest or rob a bank. You decide.
I've also experienced snow that was feet rather then inches deep, although the roads where I now find myself are more treacherous as they're narrow and not ploughed. My little Mazda isn't the best car for slippy roads.

What I wasn't prepared for was the utter panic by Britain in general. I mean I grew up here. I remember it snowing when I was trying to get to school and by golly, we just walked. (And it was miles.) I realise I'm sounding like an old codger, but since when did Britain become such a nation of wimps?

Actually, I found this on Twitter and it made me chuckle. It's spot on. 

4 comments:

  1. It's difficult not to feel a skosh superior when you know what *real* winter is. Same feeling I get when I hear about Washington, D.C., going round the bend over a *possibility* of 4" of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha. My daughter (born and raised in Chicago) is in DC now and it drives her nuts. She was the only one in the office last week when they had a "snow day". Only thing is the Metra isn't equipped to deal with it so sometimes you have no choice but to comply.

      Delete
  2. HAHAHA. I thought about blocking people from my IG account that comment 'it's the same here' when I moan about Sweden's winter. Unless you have sheaths of ice on the road for months on end and knee deep snow for at least three months of the year, you shouldn't be entitled to as much as blink about the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. HOwever, the roads round here aren't touched and the one time I drove (half a mile up the road) I nearly ended up in a ditch. And I'm a good snow driver!

      Delete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive