Unfortunately, back-to-school time doesn't always make me feel any happier. Apart from the fact that I positively loathe Chicago winters, I also confess to getting a little bored with the endless routine that is term time. You know - yelling at the kids about homework, sports equipment, music practice, or going to bed before midnight. The endless laundry, thinking up dinners that don't threaten the outbreak of WW3, and all that.
Yes, I - along with a few others I'm sure, - am experiencing a bit of ennui.- synonyms include listlessness, tedium, lassitude, languor. Pick one.
Don't worry though - I have plans to shake things up a bit around here. ("Oh no, here she goes with one of her lists." I can hear you, you know.)
Apart from the threat of removing the Man-Child from his expensive private school if he doesn't get his nose to the
- every member of the family who ever asked for a dog, taking shared responsibility for its physical and emotional well-being. And poops.
- that will include the Ball & Chain, even though he never actually asked for said dog. However, if dog is purchased for children's enjoyment, it becomes the responsibility of both parents.
- all personal items being taken upstairs every single night. The bench at the front door is not a repository for anything other than baseball caps in the summer, and scarves and gloves in the winter.
- no one eating food outside of the kitchen or the dining room (when we have company). I know it sounds like a draconian measure, but food left on the floor attracts ants, and juice secretly spilled tends to become hard and sticky on the rugs.
- asking permission before borrowing anything of mine (I-phone chargers, tweezers, sneakers/trainers) and PUTTING IT BACK.
There. I feel better already!