Wednesday 30 April 2008

I'm blushing

Managed to get mum off to the airport, and even managed to get her bags ticketed straight through at Heathrow from her American Airlines flight to her BA flight up to Newcastle. She's on the plane now, in business class, hopefully having a glass of champers and contemplating a nice lie down for most of the flight. (I haven't seen the new business class seats but they go flat. Luverly.)

Half packed for Montreal tomorrow, but HAD to share a lovely e-mail I got from Mike at Postcards From Across the Pond. In case it looks like I'm boasting - I am! He has just finished reading my book "Rules, Britannia; An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom", and said:

"....It was a captivating read and I was sorry when it ended. I think this book should be required reading for anyone staying longer that it takes to make a connection at Heathrow. Likewise Brits travelling to the States should find it equally entertaining and enlightening, and they might learn enough about the American culture to keep from embarrassing themselves.
But of all the potential fans of your book, I think I enjoyed it most. Not only is it a good reference to help me keep straight what is American and what is British it will also, no doubt, serve as a springboard for many future posts."

Mike goes on with a few more compliments. He has been in England for 6 years, so it's particularly pleasing to hear that even a jaded expat American is learning something. It also means a lot that this is someone who actually went out and bought the book rather than having it sent from my publisher as a freebie to review.

Thanks Mike, you've made my day.

And now for a girlie weekend. I'll be sure to have a few for everyone.

9 comments:

  1. Have a great weekend in Montreal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the review. I bet you're over the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun in Montreal - most of the snow has probably melted by now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful time. Be sure to have one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if your book is as good as your posts it will be a cracker. Hope you have a great time and that the sarcasm and self deprecating comment and drinking way too much just come flooding back. It's the old riding the bike thing - you never lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vindicated again! Congrats - and have a good break.

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive