Friday 2 October 2015

Old Fashioned Blogging

So a bunch of us old fart, old school bloggers have reunited on Facebook and have a little group going. The membership criterion is that you have to have been blogging since 2010 and therefore remember blogging when it was all about the writing, and not so much about the blagging of free stuff.

And wouldn't you know it, there's an award being given out and a meme circulating. Just like the old times. I could cry (with joy and fond memories).

Joanne Mallon, who blogs at Opposable Thumbs (great name) has blessed me (and several other old farts) with the award, and of course I have a list of duties too. First is displaying the award and linking to the awarder. Done.

Next is slightly more difficult - name another 15 bloggers to award and pass the meme on to. Since Joanne nicked all the bloggers off the Facebook page I will have to dig deep in the recesses of my shaky memory and find some more. Or, I could just look through my old blog posts for commenters.

And then of course, there are the 7 things about me that not too  many people know -

Ahem. Cough.

1. I established and now run a charity to help fund a fantastic little school in Ghana. We are still building but this year we had our highest number of middle school graduates, which is what it's all about. I went out to Ghana in 2011 and had a blast. (Caring Kid Connections, is the charity.)

2. I studied ballet, tap and modern dance from the ages of about 5-18, and can still do a mean time step when there's a hard wood floor and a bottle of Pinot Grigio around. Not so much the ballet as my knees are quite crumbly now. My feet are also a disgrace.

3. I am living vicariously through my older kids these days. One is working as a political journalist in Washington DC, and the other is studying Music (mainly rock) at a Music College. If I could go back and do it all again I would have trained as a journalist (except there were no courses in those days) and rocked out on stage at the weekends!

4. I didn't start my second career of writing until I was in my forties, thus proving that it's never too late.

5. I now write for the BBC America web site and the Wall Street Journal Expat web site - both of which actually PAY! I have also written a couple of books.

6. I've lived in the USA for 25 years and still dread Chicago winters. Nothing, but nothing, in the UK is as cold as a Chicago winter. OK, now I've put myself in a bad mood.

7. I can touch my nose with my tongue.

So - without further ado - I am awarding the following old time bloggers -

Lulu/Lucy at Family Affairs and other Matters

Elizabeth at Welsh Hills Again

Nappy Valley Mum at From the Valley to the Palais

Potty at The Potty Diaries

Iota at The Iota Quota

Michelle at The American Resident

Hadriana at Hadriana's Treasures

Elsie Button at Flower Fairies and Fairy Cakes

Deborah at Metropolitan Mum

Mike at Postcards from Across the Pond

I was supposed to do 15 but I can't find too many bloggers who've been around since 2010.
Anyway, you're all awarded and tagged. Here are the rules:

- Display the award certificate on your web site
- Announce your win with a post and link to whoever presented your award
- Present award to 15 deserving bloggers
- Drop them a comment to tip them off after you've linked to them in the post
- Post 7 interesting things about yourself

Have Fun!



13 comments:

  1. So I am going to get "all feeling sorry for myself" if I see this MEME post again. Seems there are a whole raft of old school bloggers I didn't even know about and I have been around for a fair few years over both my blogs x Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can touch my nose with my tongue too. Mind you, it's probably a family thing and we do have the same nose :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the nomination but particular thanks for introducing me to some more great bloggers! There are names here I have never come across and I thought I got around. The big problem for me will be coming up with a new fifteen. It might have to be five...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Funnily enough, only this morning I was thinking about how I used to blog and blog and blog, and what a big part of my life it was, and how now I hardly blog at all, and really miss it, and haven't found anything to take its place. I think autumn can make one nostalgic, and I was definitely feeling blogging nostalgia. I was thinking about that bloggers' week-end in Chicago. Blimey. I mean, we must have had something going, if 6 strangers were prepared to fly half-way across a continent to spend a week-end eating and drinking and talking.

    And now, it's all got much more nostalgic because I went over to Opposable Thumbs, and listened to Kid Creole and the Coconuts, and if that hasn't got the memory juices flowing, I don't know what would.

    I am absolutely up for this meme, but I'm not sure I know 15 bloggers these days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies - so glad no one's pee'd off with me (so far). And don't worry about naming 15 bloggers. You can see that I only managed ten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize I was an old fart blogger until you mentioned that it was all about the writing and the awards and memes. I had to go back into my archives to see and yup, I started mid-year in 09...just as it was all about to go downhill.

    So glad you linked to the bloggers you nominated, now I'm off to find new people who aren't always "sponsoring" something. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know the best thing about this post? That you didn't make it a Linky> That's how we old fashioned bloggers do it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure I can even do a Linky Iota!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the nomination. Now I'll have to find more old timers to link to. not sure I can come up with many. But his is a good incentive to get another blog post up. I've been slacking off lately, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 15??? And half of them are on here already... That's going to be tricky. Not as tricky though as touching the nose with the tongue. How do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many who started way back when have fallen by the wayside which is why it's so hard to find them.

    Actually 2010 is nothing, I've been blogging since 2005. Gosh, October (just checked) - I should be celebrating my 10th anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You must have the longest tongue! I've been going since 2009 but had too long a break really, plus I'm anonymous and don't want my Facebook friends to see my blog, so I couldn't even join the group. Sounds like a genius move to get paid for blogging! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I haven't been tagged in a post for years - that just shows that we're just old-fashioned, doesn't it?

    Talking of old, Joanne Mallon and I were at journalism college together - 20 years ago (gulp). Small world, hey...

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive