Thursday 25 February 2010

And finally....

So to prevent further blackening of big toe nail, I decided not to ski for the last two days of our week in Colorado.To be honest, the solitude was beckoning me. Or would have been had not the Ball and Chain pulled his back in a very bad way and been lying on the couch being, well a man about the whole thing. Not quite sure what he did but he was skiing with the Queenager (dropping into "bowls" and other dangerous things) when something "went". At one point apparently, they were thinking he might have to come down on one of those embarrassing ski patrol sled things. He did go out on the last day, but very gingerly it has to be said.

Also on the last day it was the Queenager's 17th birthday so she has a quick ski in the morning then a long spa treatment. (My idea of hell, but a literal "treat" for her.) The man-child ventured out on his snowboard despite the impending white out. It was about six hours later, while I was up at the resort centre/center meeting the Queenager that the text came.

"Go to a quiet place and call me", the Ball & Chain had written. Actually, he had attempted teen texting, but since he's almost dyslexic it came out as "Go 2 qut plc a call me". (This is the man that sends me flight itineraries from "Untied Airlines".)

Hmmm. Call me pessimistic but I had a feeling I was not going to like whatever was coming, and I was right. Man-child had attempted a "new move" in the terrain park, fallen and forgotten to put his arms out in front of him - thus breaking his right wrist in two places. Fortunately there was no one at the emergency care centre/center so he was x-rayed and splinted in about 90 minutes. Fabulous.

Now the fun begins. One trip to the orthopedic doctor in Chicago on Monday morning, another one scheduled for next week to see what it looks like when not swollen. One guitar performance down the toilet, school baseball not happening (star pitcher too) and a really hard time taking notes in class.

Oh, a really good excuse for not hanging his coat up or putting anything away! He thinks!

21 comments:

  1. And as I'm sure you already asked - when did he break his OTHER wrist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. but what a great war story to share with his mates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! What a "vacation". Get yourself a real break, woman! (Not of arms or toes, but a break from responsibility.)

    Fun for us to read, tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A family of broken bits!!! Hope you all recover well and quickly. Mothers always suffer the worst for sick and injured family members!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you should go skiing any more - go somewhere sunny next time!

    I love his t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unbelievably, he broke his left wrist three years ago. That was much worse as the bone was completely snapped. This is small fractures on either side, which he thought probably wasn't as bad. It is slowly dawning on him that it still means a cast and no baseball.
    Long weekend in Miami booked for end of April with girlfriends flying over from London. Big cheesy grin here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, that really was the holiday from hell. I agree with Lorna, perhaps a beach holiday next time?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no. That's a trip you'll never forget! Love his tee-shirt. Did you find that over here?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch!
    Well, you definitely win the crap holiday award hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. T-shirt purchased in very expensive tourist-trap shop opposite Windsor Castle last summer, although I'm sure you can get them online here.
    Three years ago we really did have the week from hell. I wasn't blogging then but I did send round an e-mail to friends, many of whom have asked to have it again. Must dig it out and post it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think you should go skiing anymore. Once is a fluke, twice is a sign.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, poor you, here's hoping we don't have such an eventful ski holiday! Flat batteries I can deal with, injuries, no. My daughter, aged 5 skiied a blue run for the st time unaided today (7 times. She counted) My husband is so laid back about it. I have kittens watching her putting her little turns in down a narrow track with drop offs. what if she misses a turn, I think? I did the last run of the day with her on my own, & I was more nervous than skiing a black with my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH BLOODY HELL. Not another injury. You really should give up skiing as a family. It's a catalogue of disasters every year. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Skiing does sound dangerous. Poor man, getting injured like that!

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel your pain! We are still handling the broken finger issue as the cast cannot come off for 2 more weeks! Then they want finger therapy! It does make your schedule easier without their sport practises! The bills are extremely painful as we have already reached our deductible!

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. PLIT - they are so fearless at that age. My 6 year old did a groomed black last week. His teenage siblings are not impressed at the thought of having their wee little brother with them next season. Who am I going to ski with is my question?

    And yes, as my mum said - you should sell that place and go to the beach!

    Daffy - finger therapy. Fer cryin' out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  17. And you go off on the ski "vacations" exactly why? Let's see, broken bones, sinus infections, black toenails... Hope you recover from this "relaxing interlude" before you have to go off on another ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. my response to THIS post is on my most recent post.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very funny post - everyone should pop over and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. still laughing at your posts, not at you of course!!! As I told you before:

    "if God had wanted me to ski, he would have given me bigger feet and a wings to fly down a mountain side. As he didn't give me either, I am staying safely indoors!!"

    I think after this vacation, that could possibly apply to you as well.....

    I agree man-child does have one good hand, have him use it!! LOL

    Gill

    Oh and I agree, if you want to read another funny post pop over to Clippy's

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive