Friday 18 June 2010

Coming to a Suburb near Me

As I've mentioned, my mum is here for about a month. Not that she expects me to entertain her every minute of every day (just as well really,) but I do feel that I should take her to a few things here and there. We saw Billy Elliott the other night, and as a Geordie, I have to say that the accents done by American actors were a lot less painful than some I have had to listen to on British TV in the past.

I've been glancing through various What's On Chicago type web sites for things to do and came across something that is just burning me up with curiosity - The National Cougar Convention in the western suburbs of Chicago, June 26th.  Don't laugh - can you imagine the blog fodder coming out of that $20 admission fee? Not to mention the dinner party stories for ever more. I'm very tempted.

The promotional blurb goes thus:

Meet new single friends at the National Cougar Convention, celebrating the romantic combination of younger men (cubs) and older women (cougars). All ages are welcome to socialize and dance(My underlining.) During the night, one lucky lady will be elected Miss Cougar America by the cubs. The dressy affair begins with a keynote address from author Rich Gosse. (Who???)





7:30pm Entertaining Keynote Address with author Rich Gosse, http://www.richgosse.com (“This is a great book!” Oprah Winfrey)
Purrrrrr.....!

9:00pm -1:00am Socializing and Dancing. At approximately 11:00pm, one cougar attending tonight’s convention will win the title of Miss Cougar America. She will be elected by the Cubs (younger men) in attendance. To be eligible to win, she must be legally single and at least 35 years old. She will win a free berth on the Cougar Cruise, December 3-6 to the Bahamas.

It'd be great to win the cruise, although what's the good of only one free berth. Oh wait - I'm supposed to be single so I'd only need one berth. Oh wait - I'm not legally single. Drat!
 
The biggest question for me is "Who on earth goes to these things?"
 
 
 
.

9 comments:

  1. Oh you need to go to that without a doubt. You may get a whole new book out of it, never mind a blog post or ten!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Billy Elliot in Chicago in April and really enjoyed it! The accents could have been worse, but they were funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. UUghhhh!

    I know what you mean about those American accents on British TV. Grating!

    Getting ready for CyberMummy?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, an actual event to 'celebrate' what celebrtities do best. You'v egot to love the terminology hey?! Do you have a legally single 'cub' friend you could send 'undercover'? Although I gues she could get carried away & get into his part too seriously! It wd be great to be a fly on the wall though wdn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG only in America! Cougar night, Really?
    Only take her if your mom is single. Actually, you both should go just so you can write about it after. There has got to be a huge amount of humour in a night like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that Burt Reynolds' twin brother? Or did he succomb to plastic surgery as well?

    Never mind. Back in my box.

    LCM x

    p.s. but PLEASE go, I am dying to hear about it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good LORD! Only in America is right. I think you should go in leopard print tights and report back. There is a book in this I'm sure of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. URGrghhhhhhhhhhhhh....that makes me cringe, why such an awful tag....

    there is no hope!

    saz x

    ReplyDelete
  9. URGrghhhhhhhhhhhhh....that makes me cringe, why such an awful tag....

    there is no hope!

    saz x

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive