Potty also did one, and I was tempted to just put the link in and be done with it, but that would be cheating. So-
Technically I haven't quite been blogging for five years. That day will come on Jan 9th, 2013, five years to the day after I posted my first blog post and hoped for the best.
I think the biggest change is that the blogging circle or sphere is now huge, and I confess I can't keep up. Back in the day, I seemed to be blogging entirely with UK based bloggers, and at least half of them are no longer blogging.
Anyone remember Drunk Mummy? This was my friend who got me into blogging and is still the funniest writer out there. Except she gave up after about six months for pastures new and more illustrious. I seriously urge you to pop over and rifle through the posts though.
And Frog in the Field who is now up to her ears in her party business and appears not to have blogged in well over a year?
And her from Mutterings and Meanderings, who lives in the north east and has since become a good friend. We meet for a yearly lunch when I'm on that side of the Pond. She hasn't put pen to blog post since 2009.
One of the funniest bloggers was 3 kids, No Job. She actually did have a job and blogged about it from time to time, but has ceased because her cloak of anonymity was slipping.
Does anyone remember Millennium Housewife and her "Things I have said to my husband/parents/kids"? OMG - no one could capture a scene and a full conversation in bullet points the way this blogger did.
I'm copying out her "Ten Things I have Said to my Parents Today" to give you a flavour and beg you to go and read more. (I hope she doesn't mind - I'm giving her full credit and not attributing anything to myself.)
Ten Things I have said to my Parents today. (Millennium Housewife)
- Ooh thankyou
- Happy early Christmas to you too
- I like the wrapping
- Shall I guess?
- Well it doesn't rattle
- It's squareish
- It's quite light
- I'm guessing a book
- Shall I open it?
- I wonder what it is
- Yes I was right, a book
- Sex As You Age?
- Sex As You Age?
- What do you mean I'm quite welcome?
- It may well have got you through some tough times
- But I'm in my thirties
- My Thirties
- I'm not aging
- Or in need of an elderly person's sex manual
- Oh crikey
- There's notes in the margin
- Especially for me?
- Was this your book?
- Dad please don't say Ours like that
- While putting your arm round mum
- Because I'm holding your sex manual
- And sitting next to you
- And trying desperately to think of something pleasant
- And Christmassy
- And not look at the chapter entitled Arthritis Of The Knee And You
- Stop winking at mum
- Put your hands where I can see them
- Both of you
- I'm taking away the sherry
- No you can't have it back at bedtime
- Because we're in the room next to you
- And I can see you've put your knee bandage on
- Yes of course safety comes first
- But so does your daughter's mental health
- I'm sure you do have a book on that too
- But really
- No more books OK
- Because my nerves can't take it
- No thanks
- I don't want my other present
- Because it looks suspiciosly like a pot of chocolate
- And a box of knee bandages