Saturday 13 April 2013

Kate Bush - Still Love that Girl

So the fab Kate Bush received a CBE* from the Queen the other day for services to the music industry, or something like that. If you're not familiar with Kate's Music, this was her breakout song, which literally smashed its way up the charts back in the late 70's.


She was weird, she was whacky, she has a funny voice, and what on earth was she singing about? (I happened to be studying Wuthering Heights at the time and our English teacher barred us from referencing this song in any of our homework.) Our parents would catch a bar/measure or two, give us that "You call that singing?" look and say "You call that singing?". My dad used to run to the back door to see if there was a cat in pain. Every time the song came on the radio.

And she was hot. I don't know a single 50 year old guy who didn't have a huge crush on her back in the day. She was beautiful in a very ethereal way; sexy without any of the obvious stuff.



And then, when she was ever photographed at all, she started looking like this.




Until finally, we saw her with the Queen the other day, and let's face it, there was a collective intake of breath among her fans. 


And you know what? I love her all the more. She's now a mum, she's 54, and she looks it. I would have been far more disturbed and I think, a little disappointed if she'd rolled up looking like a pulled, botox'd, decaying version of her younger self. She hasn't had any work done and clearly has more to do with her life than starving and working out all day, every day. This is what she's supposed to look like.

Brava Kate!


*CBE - Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

11 comments:

  1. Hear hear. I've always loved the way she's stuck two fingers up at the music industry and gone her own way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes........ she was and still is, very talented and I'm pleased that she has not had a face transplant....... very pleased.
    Loved her Wuthering Heights.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it true that her real name is Katherine Shrub, or is that an urban myth? Suppose I could go and google it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's like a real life person and that makes her so likable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iota - I don't think it's that. I used to know it, as her brother was in her band and used his real name. Can't remember it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just googled it, and it's really Bush. Her brother's name is Paddy Bush which is what I was remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was surprised when I saw recent photos of her too as she was such a sylph when very young. Still, weren't we all different at 20!

    I think she looks great. She looks naturally happy, her face hasn't been set into an unnatural smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Kate Bush, and I think she looks great now. She was such an original. Reminds me of dancing round the dorm at school to Wuthering Heights and "the man with the child in his eyes".

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's refreshing to see entertainers who are comfortable with their age...as well as their CBE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "So so soooo schoen." is Lil' L's verdict. Shall get the album. My husband will be delighted...

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive