Thursday 6 February 2014

Please - Pay Attention

I'm not saying I have ADD or anything. (Actually, I was getting worried so I took a few of those tests just in case). And I'm not meaning to make like of those with ADD or ADHD; having a few learning disabilities in the family as it is, I appreciate the real challenges.

But…

I must start paying more attention to what I'm doing. I quite often get to a room and literally cannot remember why I'm there. It would help however, if I focused on the job in hand instead of faffing around and getting distracted.

For example, this morning I was on my way up to get the drying out of the dryer before got all creased  and needed ironing (I'm very American like that). On the way I -

- walked through the kitchen and noticed some of my window plants looking a little forlorn. Checked the soil; wondered if perhaps it's too cold for them. (It would be too cold for me in that window, I know that); moved a couple to the island - not sure where their final destination is at the moment.

- took three jackets from the kitchen and hung them in the coat cupboard. Saw that the hats and gloves were all jumbled up, so put them back in their own baskets and held back a few tiny ones for donation to the school jumble/garage sale.

- stopped off at the piano to close the lid; decided I would see if I could play one of the ten year old's pieces; spent ten minutes before I gave up trying to sight read bass clef efficiently.

- retrieved a print out of Major and Minor scales that I'd printed off yesterday and forgotten about. It's for the Man-Child but hey - went back to the piano to play them. Why not. (Have just realized that I left them at the piano instead of putting them on his desk.)

- stopped off at Man-Child's computer desk (obviously without the scales print-out). Shuffled a few pieces of paper around, put three mugs at the top of the stairs to take to the kitchen. Abandoned the idea of organizing his stuff. Why bother?

- realized ten year old had had a huge nose bleed this morning and I'd stripped his bed; got new sheets out and placed them where I'll see them when I put him to bed later. (No chance of me remembering about this before bed time.)

Took laundry out of dryer.

Ta-da!

Somewhere along the way I put my cell phone down. It's on "silent" because I had it by my bed last night so there's no point in phoning myself. Wonder how long it'll take me to find it.

Sigh…...




10 comments:

  1. I fear Toni that this is not related to ADD in any way, I fear that it is age related!! I often bust into a room and then think what the heck am I here for, go to the supermarket for one thing, come back with 10 and not the one thing I went for! Hey, at least you were productive along the way of your little journey to the dryer and got there in the end! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That. Times ten. Plus add in four flights of stairs, the never-ending laundry saga (which you also are au fait with all too well) and trying to manage client projects, business associates and shopping lists.

    It is a sheer miracle that I still have my own head about me - but that's probably because it is (still) screwed on, albeit somewhat askew.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same...spend all day thinking about laundry in dryer that needs to be taken upstairs, and instead end up forgetting, while glued to computer reading about Liz Hurley and Bill Clinton...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I refuse to admit that it has something to do with age. I'm going with the explanation that we just have too much going on in our heads to keep it all straight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know. Big sigh. I often find myself with the laundry detergent bottle in my hand, in front of the open fridge, wondering what I wanted to do. Put the bottle into the fridge (WTH??)? Get some cereal to enjoy the detergent with??? The other day I emptied a bucket of water into the bin. It's not getting any better, is it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant post Toni. It is so easy to get distracted by the amount of tasks that need doing within a household. I hope you found your cell phone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally should take those tests too. Actually focus is not my issue, its procrastination or is that just another word for laziness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think this is age related, I think it's just what happens when you work at home! Trust me, the same thing happened to me when I was at home all day writing my novel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So with you on this....I'm worried it might be wine related!! Lx

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive