Friday 21 December 2012

Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwaanza concert

So we had the annual "Holiday" concert at school yesterday. Kids from the ages of 4 through to 10 sang songs, played instruments and generally enthralled their parents. You know how it goes.

I have to admit that since this is my third child, and we've been at this school for SIXTEEN years already, I'm not as good about taping and photographing everything as I used to be. For one thing it's always very probable that despite careful interrogation beforehand about where the kid will be on the stage, we will still manage to seat ourselves on the other side of the auditorium, and usually behind someone who blocks the entire view.

Yesterday morning was no different. The Little Guy was in fact in the front row, and well within our camera range. (Well, when I say camera, I mean I-phone.) That was, until the music teacher placed a music stand RIGHT in front of him, and then sat seven older cellists at the front of the stage. I mean, come on! Even when he stood up to play the recorder and sing with his class, I could only just see the top of his little blond head. He did manage to make his presence well and truly felt though, by coming in a verse too early on the recorder part of Ode to Joy! That's my boy!

Still, there were plenty of other kids to enjoy. Like the little 7 year old boy who, placed front and centre/center on stage, decided he didn't want to do any stupid, stinking, babyish arm movements to "This little Light of Mine" and stood there with his arms folded and his mouth shut for the whole song. Wicked!

Or the teeny groover in the Santa mini-dress and matching hat who was just doing her own thang, even when none of her classmates were moving at all. Give that girl a reality show!

The funniest however, was the Little Guy's friend with the giant cymbals. (And no, that's not a double entendre). Poor boy told LG that the cymbals made his whole body shake and his tummy hurt. They were also really, really loud and the kid next to him, despite knowing exactly when the crash would come, spent the whole song flinching and jumping. I think perhaps he knew he was playing to a captive audience.

Not that I want any more kids, but I do miss having a really little one. Sometimes. Only at concerts when you can laugh at them!

PS. If you're reading this - so glad we made it through the 'end of the world'.

4 comments:

  1. Ah don't you just love kids' concerts. I always go to the Nativity plays at the school where I'm a governor and it's a hoot: shuffles, missed cues and wardrobe malfunctions.

    Good on Little Guy for making his presence felt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a pleasure teaching elementary school/kindergarten for the past couple years - I forgot how much I'd missed all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The times that that has happened to me when I've gone to see the grandchildren perform! Always choose to sit on the wrong side or get behind someone very tall or the child seems to be standing behind someone very tall.
    Still it is something you can't miss and the atmosphere is lovely, isn't it?
    Happy Christmas.
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive