Friday 1 June 2018

Yet More Moving!

Well, it seems we're moving again. Less than a year after the BIG MOVE, we seem to have sold our US house and bought one in the UK. (That's what I've been busy doing, in case anyone thinks I was slacking!)

This upcoming move (probably mid-summer) isn't too stressful as we hardly have any stuff now!. I shipped about 30 boxes in all, which isn't bad for almost 27 years in the USA, and certainly isn't bad when I compare it to the amount of boxes other expats brought to the UK. One even admitted to over 300. You know who you are!

I have also decided that I'm going to pay the movers to pack our stuff this time. That won't be too difficult for them as we have half a dozen boxes in the garage that have never been unpacked  It makes me wonder if we really need it, but the real reason is that we don't have a lot of storage and I was not going to buy furniture for a house we weren't staying in. And obviously - we don't really need it! Plus, last year, when I packed the 30 boxes myself it nearly gave me another herniated disc. 

So yeah. We're moving about a third of a mile down the road, to a house with a dream back garden, and a small pool. Not really thrilled about the pool given that we no longer have small kids you can just chuck in and keep an eye on while sipping spritzers. It's more likely to be teens getting a little too playful for my comfort level. The dog will be in all the time of course, which will be a pain since she's long haired and apparently said hairs clog up the filters. And then there's the maintenance. Apparently it's at least a twice a week thing during the summer so we're bribing the teen to do that, plus the mowing. Earn his keep, he will! 

However, I'm not complaining. It will be nice to have our own house again; to be able to bang picture hooks into the walls without worrying about getting someone in to plaster and paint before we leave. I can think about a colour scheme for each bedroom instead of just making do with what we  have and hoping it doesn't clash too much. (Who knew that navy and teal looked so good together?) The utility room will be properly organised this time instead of loo rolls and dog food piled willy nilly on the two meagre shelves we have at the moment. Oh yes, there will be shelving and proper containers for everything. 

In my dreams, very probably.

9 comments:

  1. Moving - even just down the road - is ALWAYS a pain; but once you are in and it's yours and it's great. Good luck! And enjoy your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it, although I must admit, it's been quite nice just phoning the landlords to come and mend things rather than actually have to deal with all that!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you still have momentum going from your last move so, fingers crossed, this one won't be too difficult. Plus, "just down the road" always wins over "4,000 miles and an ocean to cross"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I'm hoping to do it in less than a day, so that I don't even have to think about where we might sleep, and on what, - even for one night!

      Delete
  3. Ah, the trials and tribulations of moving house and packing and unpacking boxes an crates...! I have to admit, after all the moving from country to country, always living in furnished rentals, I was so happy to finally have my own house with my own things. Then, after unpacking the stuff that had been in storage for years and years, I wondered...OMG why did I even keep this! Good luck to you and enjoy your own house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yes, I might even do more culling when I unpack. We really don't have much but half the stuff in my wardrobe hasn't been touched since our move last summer, so charity shops here we come.

      Delete
  4. Strange, we're planning on moving back from Zn to Scotland early next year. I am not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

The more the merrier....

Blog Archive